Saturday, December 11, 2010

CONDITIONAL SENTECES


Conditional sentences is used to express a hope that possibilly happen, but it does not happen, or it have not yet.

A.  Future Conditional
 Will/ Shall/ Can/ May + Verb 1 / be             Main Clause
 Verb 1 / to be                If Clause

Example :
1.     I will go to the meeting if she invites me
2.    Your teacher will be angry if you are late
3.    Toni can visit his aunt if he has enough time
4.    They will have more time if they come earlier

B.  Present Conditional
Would/ Should/ Could/ Might + Verb 1 / be             Main Clause
  Verb 2 / were               If Clause

Example:
1.     I would come to the party if Sani invited me
(Fact : I don’t come to the party; Sani doesn’t invite me)
2.    Udin would pass the test if he were diligent
(Fact : Udin doesn’t pass the test, he isn’t dilligent)

C.  Past Conditional
  Would/ should/ Could/ Might + have/has + Verb 3                       Main Clause

  Had + Verb 3                if Clause

Example :
1.     I would have come to the party if sani had invited me
(Fact : I didn’t come to the party; Sani didn’t invite me)
2.    Udin would have passed the test if he had been diligent
(Fact : Udin didn’t pass the test; he wasn’t diligent)


D.  Conditional Form Without “If”
The word “If” could be replace with :
·         Provided that ( asalkan)
·         On Condition that ( dengan syarat)
·         Unless (kecuali jika)
Example :
I will go if they give me the money
1.     I will go on condition that they give me the money
2.    I will go provided that they give me the money
3.    I will not go unless they give me the money

We can omit the word “If” by changing the  senteces structure
Example :
1.     If he were here, we could ask him to help us
Were he here, he could ask him to help us
2.    If he had enough money, he would buy a car
Had he enough money, he would buy a car
3.    If Rudi had come earlier, he could have met the manager
Had Rudi come earlier, he could have met the manager

No comments:

Post a Comment